Saturday, February 27, 2010

What We're All Thinking

There is a reason why a picture says a million words. It is because we make assumptions based off of what we see. We're also told not to judge a book by its cover but we all do it. In fact, we all are very much governed in our actions by the knowledge that others will be judging us by what we do, say, where we go, and what we wear. These pictures focus on BYU stereotypes and the assumptions that come to my mind when I see people on campus. I had to force myself to come up with assumptions about everyone I saw, in spite of the part of me that was telling myself that 90% of the time these assumptions are false. So here's an insight into what I'm probably assuming about you right now.





















12 comments:

  1. I loved this piece. Your idea was fabulous and your commentary was spot on. I laughed a lot. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love it. Thank you for sharing what we are ALL thinking. It was nice to reminisce on my BYU(I) days... I miss stereotyping everyone I walked past. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad to say, but I do this to people all the time. It is so fun to create a text to your life. I like your choice of variety, I don't feel like anything is redundant. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha,,, harsh but true... :) I really like it. It makes me wonder what people think about me, because its true we all make those assumption.

    ReplyDelete
  6. harsh, hilarious, and yes - you have hit the nail on the head. Way to put words and photos to our human tendency to classify people into certain groups. Great topic to work with in a college environment, especially BYU...thank you for making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that this photo essay works so well because we're never just 'mute' observers. When we see these people in real life, we almost always have a commentary going in our heads. To externalize those thoughts is an honest, if somewhat embarrassing, admission of that which is inside you.

    It responds to the assignment brilliantly. You implicated yourself into the work by sharing those thoughts. Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the stereotypes you made of the people because they are the same ones that all of us silently make. It is even funnier that some of them were actually true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea...and it seems like you nailed it! great job

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, hilarious. makes me think twice before making judgments on people i don't know. great concept, and great execution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the concept. We all do this... I don't know if I would have had the same conclusions in all of these, but I make very similar judgments all the time.

    ReplyDelete